Our curriculum takes account of the differing abilities and experiences of our students and provides an education appropriate to individual needs. It gives pupils the opportunity to develop and learn within a supportive atmosphere and foster positive attitudes to learning that lead to success and achievement.
The curriculum at Montacute is skill and context based and encourages active engagement in learning. The curriculum focuses on developing the fundamental areas of:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Physical and/or Sensory
- Spiritual, Social, Emotional, Personal and Health Education
It focuses on transferrable skills that equip children and young people for life beyond the school. Each area links directly to the main long term areas of Education Health Care Plans and progress in these areas is reviewed and reported on as part of the Annual Review process.
Our curriculum strives to be responsive to each learner, and build on individual strengths and interests. A rolling plan is developing, which supports a balance of stimulating contexts for learning through different learning experiences, themes and subjects.
PSHE and Citizenship are seen as core subjects for our students. Extracurricular activities also form an important part of the curriculum.
Montacute Curriculum will:
- Provide stimulating activities and tasks
- Set challenging, achievable targets for individual students
- Develop effective communication skills
- Develop IT skills in order to engage students in the advancing world of technology e.g. iPad use
- Encourage the tolerance of opinions and beliefs and reflect the multicultural nature of society
- Develop self-confidence and skills towards independent living
- Encourage a caring, respectful attitude towards each other within the community
- Ensure continuity and progression
- Help pupils develop lively enquiring minds
- Enable access for all students
- Use extra-curricular activities to enhance the education offered to students
- Engage professionals within the community, including sports coaches, artists, musicians etc